- Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside.*
- Mix up your favorite pancake batter. (Transfer to a squirt bottle for easier dispensing.)
- Heat greased griddle on medium heat.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle a little longer than a bacon strip. (7 inches)
- Place a bacon strip on top.
- Cook until golden brown on first side...then flip and finish cooking.
- Serve with warm pancake syrup.
Saturday, June 21, 2014
Camping season is upon us and here's a twist on an old favorite that makes for perfect camping food! Who doesn't like bacon with their pancakes and syrup? Bacon pancake dippers are a simple way of serving them together. The perfect finger food breakfast!
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
A neighbour in days-gone-by was most generous with gifts from her kitchen...and I often got to sample her delightful baked goods. Today's recipe is one that came from her kitchen many years ago...a flaky cottage cheese pastry with an orange glaze.
Easy Cottage Cheese Pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 1 cup creamed cottage cheese
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Using a large-holed grater, grate the butter and stir into flour mixture.
- Add creamed cottage cheese (I like to process the cottage cheese slightly in the blender to get rid of lumps first)
- Mix until smooth.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for several hours.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and shape into disks.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each disk into a fairly thin circle, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut each circle into 8 wedges, pizza style. Using a pizza wheel works great for this.
- Starting at the wide edge, roll each wedge into a crescent.
- Place the crescents (point side down) on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or well greased.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Drizzle with orange glaze while warm.
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 - 2 tablespoons orange juice, as needed
- Whisk sugar, zest and juice together until smooth.
*Tip ~ Place rack over sink before drizzling with glaze.