Monday, June 15, 2009

Pineapple Cupcakes

My mother-in-law was the best cook...and left me with many wonderful recipes...which now remind me of her whenever I use them. One of the first recipes she ever shared with me was a simple pineapple cupcake recipe. I baked them up often for 'my girls' at Pioneer Clubs back in the day...and they were always a favorite. I had all but forgotten about them...until I saw the handwritten recipe in my book the other day...and made up a batch for old-times sake. They are still every bit as good!

Pineapple Cupcakes

Yield ~ 18 cupcakes

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 small can crushed pineapple (14 oz. or 398 ml) ...juice included
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Method:

  1. Cream butter and sugar...beat in eggs and vanilla.
  2. Blend in pineapple...then add dry ingredients and beat until blended.
  3. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full...and bake at 350ºF for about 20 minutes.

These cupcakes are great with cream cheese frosting:

  • 1/2 cup (125 gr) softened cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tblsp. milk
  1. In a medium sized bowl, beat softened cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until creamy.
  2. Add icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat after each addition, scraping the sides of the bowl when necessary. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
  3. With mixer on low, add vanilla and milk. Add a little more or less milk...as needed to obtain proper spreading consistency.

This is a mild cream cheese frosting...to fool those who claim not to like cream cheese. If you prefer your frosting cheesier...use the entire package of cream cheese, rather than half.

They are perfect for afternoon tea out on the front porch...or an easy treat to pack for a picnic.

Enjoy,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your comments on the dishes you try.