- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped *
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 1 egg, beaten with fork
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in orange zest and coarsely chopped cranberries.
- Combine buttermilk and egg; add to dry ingredients and mix until dough sticks together.
- Drop by large spoonfuls (scoop) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool slightly and then drizzle with glaze.
Yield: 12 scones
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
Combine ingredients and stir until smooth. Using a spoon, drizzle the icing over the scones.
*Frozen cranberries can also be used...just be sure to chop first.