We all love ice-cream cakes...
and my grands love DQ blizzards...
and so ice-cream blizzard cakes seemed like the right choice for their birthday cake this year.
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 liter / quart premium vanilla ice-cream, slightly softened
- 1/2 milk
- Skor bits (1 cup, or to taste)
- Cool-Whip topping
- Mix cake mix according to instructions on package and bake in 2 9-inch pans. Cool completely.
- Line a 9-inch cake pan with plastic wrap.
- In blender, combine the ice-cream and milk. This works best doing 1/2 at a time. *
- Pulse to blend until thick and uniform.
- Add skor bits and pulse just until combined.
- Pack into prepared cake pan, leveling the surface.
- Freeze until firm.
- Cut one cake layer in half horizontally and place bottom on a round base.
- Place frozen ice-cream layer on top of cake base.
- Center top piece of cake on ice-cream layer.
- Pop into the freezer and freeze until firm.
- Frost entire cake with a layer of cool whip.
- Use additional whipped topping in a pastry bag to decorate as you wish.
- Write message on cake with melted chocolate or chocolate icing.
- Store in freezer...for up to a few weeks.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.
Those were the instructions for cake #1. The second cake was an oreo blizzard ice-cream cake, prepared in the same way but using crushed oreo cookies rather than skor bits. And that is the general method for making a yummy ice-cream cake at home.