- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine flour, sugar and butter in mixing bowl and mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of crumbs for topping.
- Add baking soda, cloves and cinnamon to flour mixture and stir.
- Combine buttermilk, egg and vanilla and stir.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Stir in raisins.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over tops.
- Bake about 25 minutes...or until toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
*To make a cake, pour batter into a greased cake pan and top with reserved crumbs. Bake as above for about 40 minutes.
Yield: 12 large cupcakes or one 9-inch square cake.