With many people planning turkey dinners for this weekend, here's a veggie plate suggestion that might just be a good addition to your menu. The carrots can easily be prepared in advance, and re-heated at the last minute. They taste as good as they look!
- 8 large carrots (about 2 pounds)
- 8 stems of green onion
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Pare or scrape carrots. Then cut into strips about 3 inches in length.
- Cook carrots over medium heat until tender crisp.
- Remove from heat. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place onion greens in a covered dish in the microwave. Cook on high for 30 seconds. Cool and use limp onion greens as ropes to tie the carrot bundles.
- Gather carrot strips into eight bundles.
- Tie each with an green onion stem. Trim off ends of carrot bundles to even out lengths, if desired.
- Place bundles in a shallow bowl and drizzle with lemon basil mixture.
- Cover and chill until serving time.
- Reheat in microwave oven for about 3 minutes or until piping hot.
- Serve on a bed of steaming green peas, if desired!