Photos of cheerio bars kept popping up here and there...and piqued my interest. Why not use my recipe for puffed wheat squares and make a few substitutions? That's what I did...and they were a hit!
- 4 cups cheerios
- 2 cups fruit and nut trail mix (or your favorite combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruit)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup syrup (corn syrup or golden syrup)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine cereal, fruit and nuts in a large bowl.
- Combine butter, syrup, brown sugar and cocoa in saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil stirring constantly for one minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour brown sugar mixture over cereal and stir well to coat.
- Turn into a greased 9" x 13" pan (or a 10" x 15" bar pan for a thinner bar).
- Press flat with a spatula sprayed with cooking spray.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes and cut into bars of desired size.
*Tip ~ Line pan with parchment paper and remove unsliced squares to the cutting board before slicing. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter.