Thursday, July 25, 2013

Onion Ring Special


Over the years I have collected many recipes from friends and family...and whenever I prepare that particular dish I am always reminded of the one from whom it came.  Today's recipe is a prime example.  My Aunt Kay e-mailed this recipe to me one summer...thinking it might be something we would enjoy.  And we do!  Two years ago this month my aunt passed away.  I have many good memories of her...and this salad always brings her to mind. If you love the fresh produce of summer..then here is a side dish of multi-coloured bell peppers and onions that most easy to prepare ahead and have on hand in the fridge.  So...if you have a peck of peppers that need picking...here's a recipe for you!



  • 1 large sweet onion, sliced in rings (like Walla Walla)
  • 1 red pepper, sliced in rings
  • 1 green pepper, sliced in rings
  • 1 yellow pepper, sliced in rings
  • 1 orange pepper, sliced in rings
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/3 cups white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  1. Thinly slice all the vegetables and place in large salad bowl with a lid.  
  2. Combine sugar, salt, vinegar, water and oil in a saucepan.
  3. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
  4. Pour over veggies.
  5. Cover and chill for at least 24 hours. 
  6. Serve as a salad or a meat condiment.